The estate was situated in the middle of a wine-growing area and is said to have been shielded by four round towers. It is also said that there was a castle chapel.

A copperplate engraving from 1654, in turn, depicts a view of Merano with a square tower with an attached residential wing in the foreground, bearing the inscription "Rundeck". Much about the history of Castel Rundegg may still be hidden. But one thing is certain: its eventful history and the hospitality it practises shape the unique character of the castle hotel.

How everything began...

Today's Castel Rundegg was probably built in Obermais in the distant year 1154. Only a few documents still provide information about the builders and first owners. What we do know, however, is this: Originally, today's Schlosshotel was a fiefdom, which was in the hands of respected farmers, the so-called Talhackers, until 1564. They were even judges in Merano nine times between 1495 and 1550.

n 1564, the estate was bought by Christoph Maminger, after it had also been owned by Beda Weber and Granichstädten, among others.

From feudal estate to noble seat

In 1621, the estate came into the possession of Jakob von Mohr zu Lichtenegg, a refugee from the Grisons, who only a few years later, on 3 March 1625, received from Archduke Leopold the rights and freedoms of a noble seat for Rundegg and permission to call himself by that name. The nobleman was also Bishop of Strasbourg and Passau.

A lively change of ownership...

In 1684, Ferdinand von Kiepach zu Ried, Zimmerlehen and Haßlach is named as the owner. About 30 years later, on 15 October 1714, his widow Dorothea sold the Rundegg estate to Baron Bernhardus Paravizini von Capelli von Trahora, Lord of Rundegg, Rametz and Moerling. He was an officer in the French service who, according to unofficial reports, resigned from the service after a duel in which he killed his opponent and settled at Rundegg Castle, Rametz and Moerling. He died on 29 April 1770 at the proud age of 104.

From private noble seat...

Baron Bernardus' son Johannes Franziskus Nepomuk Sales Maria, Baron Paravizini de Capelli, Lord of Rundegg and Rametz, born on 29 January 1765, died in Merano on 17 January 1813, married Nobildonna Maria Theresia of Battaglia Pontealto and Sopramonte in 1792. Of their nine children, two girls survived, who married in succession the mayor of Innsbruck Dr. Felix Adam von Riccabona zu Reichenfels.

...to a "Quarter for Strangers

In the brochure "Ein Wegweiser für Fremde" (A Guide for Strangers) published in 1851, Rundeck Castle is recommended as accommodation for strangers in Obermais. At that time it was still owned by the successors of Baron Paravizini de Capelli. To be precise, the second surviving daughter of Baron Johannes Franziskus, who died at Rundegg Castle on 19 February 1878.

Hard times...

The property passed to Josepha Riccabona, née Paravizini, who left the castle to her niece Maria von Riccabona, widow Kostner. She in turn bequeathed Castel Rundegg to her daughter Josepha in 1901. In the meantime, the estate had lost many properties and had to be sold in 1935.

Dawning a new era

Castel Rundegg was acquired by the Spitaler brothers and became the property of the South Tyrolean entrepreneur Paul Sinn in 1976. He renovated the castle, turned it into a luxury hotel and started the first season in 1978. When Paul Sinn decided to sell the castle hotel, he found suitable buyers in the South Tyrolean entrepreneurial family Spögler.

Fresh wind, great visions and the fulfilment of a dream

In 2016, a breath of fresh air whistled through the old walls when David Kofler took over the management of the hotel. The charismatic young hotelier thus fulfilled his great dream and has been working tirelessly ever since to restore the old splendour without disregarding the modern.